A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Certificate of entitlement to a decree - costs

  • j.warden
  • j.warden's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
21 Aug 12 #350909 by j.warden
Topic started by j.warden
Hi, I am the respondent in my divorce proceedings, and I have just received a certificate of entitlement to a decree. It says that I am to pay the costs of the Petitioner, my wife, agreed at 50%. To what extend does this mean I have to pay? Is this just my wife''s costs for the Petition fee or is this all of her costs of the divorce? The reason I ask is that on her petition the costs bit says "the respondent is to pay half (she inserted the word "half" here) the costs of making this Petition, and I agreed to this by repeating that in my acknowledgement document. Between ourselves, we have agreed to split the whole costs of the divorce in half, so we each pay eactly half of the whole process, but I do not think that this certificate order reflects this agreement we have. I was thinking of contacting my wife''s solicitors and trying to agree in writing the cost sharing arrangment we have agreed so that I could send this to the court and hopefully they will change the costs order when the Decree Nisi is granted? Any ideas? What should I do? Thanks for your help.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
21 Aug 12 #350910 by dukey
Reply from dukey
All you need to do is send a copy of the agreement you made to pay half to court.

Courts don`t collect costs anyway is for your other half to do.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.