A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • ssoria
  • ssoria's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Sep 12 #357965 by ssoria
Topic started by ssoria
is there any kind aof application I can make as EX moved out in 2010, he has not supposrted me in anyways since I have been on jsa seriously looking for work but cant get any..

My benefits have reduced as my kids have grown up .youngest one with ex.. av I now get £300 a month..impossible to survive! ex is working but showing debt and pretending to work part time in dads business.
he was cought in last hearing not knowing about owning a share in another property with his two brothers.. next hearing in november dont know how I will survive until then...
family home in dispute ..married in 1991, three kids aged 20, 18 and 14 the 18 yr old living with me shared residence for 14.
ex living his sisters house alone with my two kids.

  • Elphie
  • Elphie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Sep 12 #358072 by Elphie
Reply from Elphie
You can apply for mps, (maintenance pending suit) ie you stbx order to pay you a monthly amount until finances are agreed and sorted. However there is no guarantee you will be awarded it, or how much, it depends you your income & needs vs your stbx income & needs (ie his ability to pay) And as you have said, he already lies about his income so it might appear to court that he can''t afford to help you. However, in your favour he lives with his sister, so his living costs are at least halved, meaning he would have more disposable income than if he was living alone.

Do you mean your 14 year old lives with him? Or spends time with each of you, 50-50? If 50-50 then you could still claim csa from him if you receive child benefit.

  • Serendipity100
  • Serendipity100's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
27 Sep 12 #358236 by Serendipity100
Reply from Serendipity100
Ssoria - yes, you can apply for MPS - but, and I hate to say this - it may prove to be unsuccessful, in so far as you have supported yourself without financial help from your ex since 2010, though appreciate your circumstances have changed. Worth a try - if you are on benefits, you can make the application free, but be careful you don''t get slapped with a costs order if it proves to be an unsuccessful Petition. Hope this helps. :)

  • ssoria
  • ssoria's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Sep 12 #358295 by ssoria
Reply from ssoria
Thank you, Elphie and seredipity 100. I have emailed my solicitor..he is quite good ..lets see what he says/does..

we had a 4 yr dispute on yougest child 14 yr old son.. we both got shared residence which means I shuld also have a room for him to slp..but at the moment he only sleeps with ex but visits me mon-fri after schl..which means I have to provide for supper..my eldest one also has his meals with me but sleeps with ex


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.