A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Advice regarding belongings

  • MattyMJP
  • MattyMJP's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Sep 07 #3580 by MattyMJP
Topic started by MattyMJP
A female friend has split from her husband and I wanted to get some advice for her. She's waiting to hear back from her solicitor but obviously these things can take time and are expensive.

In short it looks as if her husband is moving in with the woman he cheated on her with but my friend is still looking for a place. Although they have accepted an offer on their current house it hasn't been sold yet. He has already drawn up a list detailing who will get what belongings without having discussed it with my friend. The questions I have are:

1. What if he stops paying the bills on the house?

2. What is to stop him removing items from the house to use in his new place?

  • Sera
  • Sera's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
18 Sep 07 #3601 by Sera
Reply from Sera
I'm not a legal advisor. But, if she does need urgent advise, then the solicitor will need to advise.
There are no set rules. If they go to mediation, they can agree who gets what, and have that agreed by a solicitor.

He can't be accused of vandalising or stealing his own stuff. She should make a list of furnishings etc; and get him to discuss how it's all split up. If they have exchanged contracts on their home, then he may be starting to move things. Everything is a matrimonial pot, for consideration. So even if he is moving in with a new partner, the items your friend jointly owns with her husband, will need to be discussed for settlement.

If the house isn't yet sold, I'd advise she asks him not to move furnishings, if it would jeopardise a sale. (ie: leaving it looking like a sad bedsit, devoid of nice things).

If she needs urgent action against his removal of items, or non-payment of bills, mortgage etc; she'd have to take urgent court action, and ask for temporary support.

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Sep 07 #3602 by scottishlady
Reply from scottishlady
When my solicitor filed the petition for divorce she also said she was applying for maintenance pending suit, which she explained to me was an emergency measure, to ensure that I had enough money to pay bills/living expenses etc.... and that the court 'could' order my x2b to 'support' me whilst we were seperated pending divorce.......that seems such a long time ago.... now - I am by no means destitute (yet).... but for an 'emergency measure' it doesn't half seem to take a long time....:(

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.