A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How to remove my name on jount acc. after Divorce

  • dipeshmak
  • dipeshmak's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 Oct 12 #359423 by dipeshmak
Topic started by dipeshmak

I am divorced, in the settlement my ex wife was order to take the debts in the joint account.

but my name is still on it and she keep driving the account over the OD limit effecting my credit score.

How can i remove my name for the joint account?

  • Action
  • Action's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Oct 12 #359489 by Action
Reply from Action
Banks seem to have different methods so best speak to your bank and explain the situation. It may require two signatures to take your name off. You could threaten to have the account frozen if she doesn''t agree. I imagine if the bank are made aware that there is a dispute with the account then they''ll freeze it in any case, to protect their own interest.

  • Serendipity100
  • Serendipity100's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
05 Oct 12 #359517 by Serendipity100
Reply from Serendipity100
Why not send Bank copy of Court Order if ex was ordered to take the debts, together with a covering letter? Yes, there are s37 orders, but cost and hassle and you already have Ct Order.

  • Tets
  • Tets's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
05 Oct 12 #359525 by Tets
Reply from Tets
I doubt the bank will remove your name, you need to get the account frozen. The Consent Order should have included an undertaking by both parties not to use the joint account.
The banks allowed the overdraft on the basis that the account was in both your names and so they (the bank )will hold you both jointly and severally liable for the overdraft.
If the banks pursue you for the overdraft not paying it will affect your credit rating, you will need to take legal action yourself against your ex for not fulfilling her part of the Consent Order.

I am not a solicitor the above reflects my understanding and isn''t legal advice.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11