A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Out of the blue demand for money/assets

  • cici
  • cici's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
23 May 07 #364 by cici
Topic started by cici
If anyone has had experience of the following, would really appreciate some guidance. Can't sleep and can't see a solictior for 4 weeks. Totally stressed. Had a divorce 2 years ago. Found out ex had affairs before marriage, at point of getting married and right thru' marriage. He walked out, doesn't bother to see our two children or keep in contact with them. I own my own house - had it prior to marriage, also rec'd money thru' a bereavment recently (2 years after divorce); now he wants 50% of my house and a lump sum of cash because he has a massive debt accrued since our divorce (he left me with a large credit card debt which i am still paying off). He never contributed towards the mortgage or the bills - not once. The divorce has been final for 18+ months. Can he now out of the blue, and due to the debt he has accumulated demand an asset split for something that he never owned or contributed towards?

  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 May 07 #366 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11
Hi Ctac.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

My husband and i have had similar problems.(2nd marriage)
He divorced his first wife based pretty much on the same information you have given five years ago, his wife then applied for ancilliary relief... Two years down the line we are just at final hearing stage, at the moment its been adjourned for 4 weeks.

Some questions need answering before anyone can really give you any advice ....1) when you got divorced did you get a Consent Order done? 2) when you got divorced did you divorce him or did he divorce you? 3) On the divorce papers did you or him cross out the orders for ancilliary relief? 4)How long were you married?

All these questions need answering really to see where you actually stand at the moment.
Just looking at what you have written it seems to me like he should be paying you Child support ect...

Try not to get too stressed i know thats easier said than done as for two years ive not really eaten or slept properly, but finally two weeks ago a Judge listened to what we had to say and totally agreed with us. For two years we have had constant letters from his ex wifes solicitor, they have tried bullying us, they have lied constantly to the courts,sent 11 letters in 14 days expecting answers straight away, o god and other numerous things i cant even begin to list. We have represented ourselves. Its been, at times a complete nightmare.

Dont let him or his solicitors bully you in any way shape or form, until you have spoken to a solicitor yourself, there is little point in worrying, as for not being able to see one for 4 weeks, dont worry about that either, it takes forever anyway.
From your post it seems to me that you have an extremely good case because of his none contributions.

Keep your chin up and try to get some sleep, think positive thoughts and every time a negative one pops in your head replace it with a happy thought.:)

Kind regards

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.