A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What can i expect to have to pay?

  • dnac
  • dnac's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 May 07 #371 by dnac
Topic started by dnac
My wife and I were married for 12 years, we have 2 children 5 and 3, and have now decided to split, she is citing unreasonable behaviour, but I have suspisions that she has been having an affair.

Anyway that aside, we agreed before she went to her solicitor that we would split the house profit once sold 50/50, that way we can both get a house (albeit much smaller than our current one). and I can have the children 3 nights a week, including Friday and Saturday night.

I earn just under 30K a year, she is working 2 days a week on one job, and two nights on another,

I looked on the CSA website, and based on my earnings and nights I will have the children I have to pay £250, but have said I would give her £300 until she gets settled, I have also said she can have all the furniture from the house.

Anyway with taking into consideration getting a mortgage for a small 3 bed house, bills and the csa I am left with the grand total of £50 a month, do you think she will be entitled to maintence for her?

Any idea's anyone?

  • wikivorce team
  • wikivorce team's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
24 May 07 #374 by wikivorce team
Reply from wikivorce team
To answer your question we would basically need to know:

- her current earnings and her short term potential earnings
- her outgoings (including how much her mrtgage will be)

  • dnac
  • dnac's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
29 May 07 #457 by dnac
Reply from dnac
Hi, I am not totally sure what she earns, as she will not talk to me about it, says its not my business, however I think she takes home circa £500 a month from her day job (she works two days a week) and £60 a week from her night job (two 5 hour shifts), then she has the family allowance and the tax credit as well, plus what ever I give her, on paper if my workings are correct she will actually be better off than myself each month.

There is nothing stopping her from working full time, only her wish not to.

I am not sure what her mortgage will cost, as she won't talk to me about that either, she has said that she may rent as although she has a lot of money coming in, most of it is not taxed (my payment plus the benifits ets), so I am not sure if she can get a mortgage on the money she actually earns

any help would be great<br><br>Post edited by: dnac, at: 2007/05/29 10:09

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.