A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

how much

  • sharon
  • sharon's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
26 May 07 #413 by sharon
Topic started by sharon
my husband and i have been seperated for a month he desided he wanted a divorce at xmas, i dont work we have no assets he has a pension and he earns 1700 a month after tax, i recive incapacity benefit and am wating to hear about housing benefit, in the mean time he has desided to give me 120 per month he said he does not have to give me any thing at all we were married 5yrs and have no children, is what he says right ive been on the calculater and showed him the result but he said its rubbish and he wont give me any money at all from now on can he just do that or should he give me more

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 May 07 #414 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Dear Sharon,

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties. Not knowing you it is difficult to offer any more than a few general words of advice.

The first is that benefits can be crucial. I would most certainly advise an appointment with a CAB for a benefit check. You would need to ask the adviser what the effect on your benefits would be if you received spousal maintenance or a lump sum.

Since it is clear that you have a disability of some sort, this is one of the factors a Court is required to take into account. My inclination is that you should try and find a solicitor who will give you preliminary legal advice without charge. Your CAB may be able to suggest one, but make sure it is a solicitor specialising in this field. I would say that I think it is likely that a Court would order spousal maintenance on these figures, but how much, I wouldn't like to speculate. You must ask your solicitor about the marital home, and whether, following the House of Lords decision in the McFarlane case, you could be entitled to an interest in it. You must also ask about what help is available towards legal costs, and a CAB should be able to assist with this.

Good luck

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.