A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

before marrage assets?

  • auntiefi
  • auntiefi's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
03 Oct 07 #4291 by auntiefi
Topic started by auntiefi
right - Brother in law is getting on with sorting it.
he is under the impression that any property and money saved within the marriage counts towards assets. she says that its everything acquired during the relationship - a civil partnership she calls it - is this true or more lies?
we are in Scotland if it helps

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Oct 07 #4297 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Your BIL's estranged wife is mistaken. Civil partnerships only came into being in December 2005, I think it was, they have to be registered and you can't marry if you are in one.

Since May 2006 cohabitants in Scotland have had certain rights and perhaps that's what she means. These rights are limited though and I don't see how they would affect the settlement.

However, there are certain assets owned prior to marriage that could be deemed part of the pot such as property which was used as the family home during the marriage.

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Oct 07 #4316 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
And civil partnerships are only for same-sex couples so unless she is a male-to-female transsexual in a civil partnership under her born status (very unlikely) this is not possible.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.