A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Offsetting on pension or cash lump sum?

  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Oct 07 #4325 by Louise11
Topic started by Louise11
Hi All,

Slowly getting there!!!!

Hubby has today put forward another way of settling.
She wants a cash lump sum, we know this through family. Her comments have been "why do I want his pension? I might not live to see it"! (mmmmmmm no comment!)
So as we have no money! He has said what about if I give her a cash lump sum in four years time when I retire, when he has chance to commute his pension. The reply from solicitor was "Yes I know what you mean! Its called an attachment to pension order!" (think he means "pension attachment order" mmmmmmm) He said yes but we have to weigh up that my client can commute part of her pension sharing order! To which my husband replied "yes but she wont be able to do that for another 10 years and it all depends on what percentage of pension she would get anyway. Based on my figures which I may get, it wouldnt really amount to that much! Anyway they have till end of today before 3pm to cancel FH. So I doubt an agreement will come! Hes going to speak to his client!
Anyway my question is...................does it have to be an attachment to his pension or can it just be a guarantee to pay her the amount, written into a Consent Order that when he gets his lump sum he will pay her the money! The last thing I want is an attachment order. As its my understanding if anything happens to him before then (and touch wood it doesnt) it will reduce my widows pension.
We cant get a loan to pay her any today and also we have been advised not to pay any cash today in case the worst happens, what ruddy benefit would he have got from all those years of working and paying into it, it would all of been for nothing as he wouldnt of lived to see any benefit. Plus it would leave me paying the ruddy loan!
Any advice?
Kind ones all

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.