A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Pension question

  • Caz63
  • Caz63's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
07 Oct 07 #4436 by Caz63
Topic started by Caz63
I am in the middle of seperating from my wife of 22 years. We have made a list of our assets and that seems quite easy.I have a pension that i will be able to draw in 6 years time, i have asked for a valuation and am awaiting that, but what i wondered is how do they work out a value, so that i can give my wife a cash equivalent, rather than her having a claim on my pension. She also has a small pension as she has only been working for about 4 years.

Any advice appreciated


  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Oct 07 #4438 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11

Pension splitting has got to be one of the most complex items to decide on throughout the whole AR process.
You can not put a cash value on it for the purpose of splitting assets. It is an extremely complex thing and the only advice you should really take is seek professional advice.
I will hopefully be in more of a position to help on this question and subject more after Tuesday as its my husbands FH (I'm his new partner)on Monday and Tuesday and the whole AR proceedings some 3 years long have centered around this issue.
I will be writing in the Forum exactly what the outcome is so hopefully it will help you more to read that then.

Heres hoping its in my husbands favour! (after all he worked for it!)

Kind ones

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.