A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How much I will have to pay ?

  • victim123
  • victim123's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
10 Oct 07 #4579 by victim123
Topic started by victim123

I am a foreigner living in uk for past 1.5 years and had got married to girl I met back home .. we had not lived together before marriage...

She came to uk with me straight after (we had not stayed together b'fore marriage)... and within 2 months of marriage our relationship started deteriorating...she started behaving very weird and was abusive..... she said very bad slangs for my family and friends... and threatened me to go to police and complaint against me ...

after 6 months of marriage when i decided to move out of house because of her abusive behaviour, she went to police and made false allegations of se-x-ual abuse againt me and my younger brother who had been staying withus for that 6 months(he too is stayig in UK)....

now after 11 months police (CPS) have made a decision of "No Further Action" to be taken against both of us(me and my brother)....

I had not applied for divorce during this period as my public solicitor had advised to wait for the decesion over the allegations made...else this can be used against me in proceedings of divorce

I am working in uk with salary of 45K, and she joined ACCA and continued her studies during this period...she has been working on 7K a year..

As of todaywe are married for past 18 months with 12
months of separation.....

please advise me on further steps...i have savings of 10 K, and no assets have been acquired by both of us during our marriage
* Will I have to pay any maintenance to her ?
* I am 29 and she is 26... can she claim any pension.. though I have very minimal acruals in it..
* any other advice ?

Any help would be appreciated.


  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Oct 07 #4584 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
It sounds to me as though you're better out of this marriage and I think your course is clear, get on with a petition.

In reply to your queries :

1. In view of the short length of the marriage and the fact that you are both young and have your lives ahead of you, I would say spousal maintenance is unlikely but the Court might order maintenance for a short period to tide her over immediate difficulties.
2. Could she claim any of your assets ? She could claim, certainly, but I don't think she will get anything.
3. Same answer as regards your pension.

Mike 100468

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.