A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

The long and winding road............

  • Mr Hopeful
  • Mr Hopeful's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
12 Oct 07 #4656 by Mr Hopeful
Topic started by Mr Hopeful
..........that is my seemingly neverending divorce process. I will keep the details to a minimum as have been over them through my mind constantly for the last 23 months :(

We were married for 1 year (together for 7 on and off) with 2 children (a son (7) together and a son (11)from her previous relationship) and came home from work one day to find she had left taking belongings (including children and dog) with divorce petition on the doorstep. This was never discussed before and her hapiness in the marriage was never a question (had to be someone else involved!) This was nearly 2 years ago and we are not yet at the Decree Nisi stage due to holdups incurred by her/solicitors (and she is the one who wanted to rush for a divorce!!).

Where do I stand in terms of financial split? She moved out and is living in financed rented accommodation where she works so she and the children at least have a roof over their heads. House was in my name but she has been through Land Registry to protect her rights on this. I have been paying maintenance for my son since they left and see him every other weekend (would love it to be more though!). I am basically looking for light at the end of a seemingly very long tunnel :blink:

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Oct 07 #4663 by gone1
Reply from gone1
"that leads to your door will never disappear I've seen that road before. It always leads me here. Leads me to you door" Showing my age now ha ha.

Not a legal expert plenty on here though. I reckon that becuase you have a short marriage that this will go in your favour. From what I have heard that with a short marriage you come out with what you went in with. That means if the house was in your name before then you should have a major chunk of it if not all. But you have children and that goes against you in a financial way. Chris.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.