A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How strong is the Court Order once stamped?

  • OBEs 1 canoodly
  • OBEs 1 canoodly's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
16 Oct 07 #4784 by OBEs 1 canoodly
Topic started by OBEs 1 canoodly
Hi everyone,

Wonder if someone can shed some light?

Well, we've got the champagne, celebrations and holiday out of the way and guess what?? We get smacked back into reality again!!!

OBE's ex agreed to pay him a lump sum and is doing that by way of releasing from the FMH. The amount was rubber stamped and agreed at the FH.

I said to our Barrister as we left court what if the valuation doesn't come up to scratch and she can't raise that amount can she have the amount reduced? Our Barrister said she agreed to that figure and that is what she has to pay!

Today, on speaking to our financial guy he said that everything was underway and should go smoothly. The only stumbling block he envisaged is if the house doesn't reach the value to release the amount agreed. I said "Well that's not OBE's problem it's hers" and he replied that it could be his problem because she has no other way of raising the extra. OBE has taken a big enough dive anyway so to get less would really be awful!! Would they have to go back to court if she can't raise the full amount?

However, assuming it all goes to plan and she can raise this amount the financial guy told me there are legal fees involved with raising this money and was OBE aware of this. Surely she can't take these fees out of the amount she raises which should be paid to him in full? The court set the amount and said nothing about deducting fees from it! She has lived rent free for the past 7 years and has got her wish to stay put in the FMH? OBE cannot afford any more fees he is struggling to pay off what he's already got and which she incurred by being so stubborn so surely this time the fees are down to her? It's what she wanted, to be able to stay put so surely she should pay the re-mortgaging fees, not him, not even half, surely not???

Any advice would be appreciated.

OBE's 1

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.