A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

house claiming

  • sniffercat
  • sniffercat's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
16 Oct 07 #4785 by sniffercat
Topic started by sniffercat
To cut a long story short, ex and i divorced 5 years ago, he still lives in FMH with children(6 of, 2 under 16).
Joint names on mortgage still, but have been told that as he has remarried i can claim my part of the fmh. Does anyone know if this is correct? as would love to be able to start again with partner without this hanging over us

  • OBEs 1 canoodly
  • OBEs 1 canoodly's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
16 Oct 07 #4789 by OBEs 1 canoodly
Reply from OBEs 1 canoodly
Hello sniffer

If the children are yours and they are living in the FMH with your ex it is usual for the courts to issue a mesher order. This is where you would get your share of the FMH once the youngest child reaches the age of 18. Was nothing like this sorted out when you divorced?

This is where it cuts both ways! I make this statement because mostly it is the ex-wives that end up staying in the FMH with the children and the ex-hubby usually has to sit and chew the cud whilst waiting to release any equity from the former home. They also have to pay child maintenance and sometimes spousal maintenance too. Do you pay anything towards the children? (Thats if they are yours ~ I am assuming!)

So you see it cuts both ways. Your situation is the reverse to most but still the court would order the same.

Maybe if you post some more information about how the divorce was originally settled someone on here may be able to shed some light. Its sometimes so difficult to help with such little information.

I don't think you will be able to touch any equity at this stage with the children still being under 16 unless your ex can buy you out?

Hope this helps a little - sorry not more I can say at this stage.

May the luck be with you!

OBE's 1

  • Sera
  • Sera's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
16 Oct 07 #4790 by Sera
Reply from Sera
Looking at it from his new wifes point-of-view, I'm sure she'd be very happy to see your name of the Deeds!

My first point of call, would be seeing if she wants to buy your share? It can't be easy for her living in a new marital space, whilst knowing you have a 'hold' over it.
Also, she may come to resent any improvements she makes, knowing that eventually you'll profit by her generosity!

So that puts you at a good advantage!

I'd start with finding out how much of it you own, and approaching them to buy your share at todays value. (They might prefer to do this - than have to share more down the road)????

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.