A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

do we have to sort the house now or after divorce?

  • GOLDWING44's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Oct 07 #4856 by GOLDWING44
Topic started by GOLDWING44
I have just started my own divorce. All is going ok so far, ie she has just agreed to one after 3 years. Does anyone know if we can see the divorce through and still have the house in both our names to be sorted out later when the kids grow up and leave ?

Or does it have to be sorted now?the divorce papers are about to be sent off.

Neither of us are paying a cent to any solicitor and its all being done between us.

Any help any one ? :dry:

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Oct 07 #4869 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
It is normal practice for an application for ancillary relief to be made in the petition and sorted out as part of the divorce process.

Although it is possible to divorce first and sort out the finances later, there are a number of risks. and they are :

(a) If no claim for ancillary relief is made in the petition, then it is possible to apply later, but it is necessary to get the leave of the Court. If leave is refused, you are up the creek without a paddle.
(b) Any delay in applying for relief is potentially prejudicial to the case of the person seeking it.
(c) If either of you re-marries after the divorce without having made a claim for ancillary relief, the right to apply for relief is lost and cannot be revived ( section 28(3) Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 ).

Mike 100468

  • lilybet
  • lilybet's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
18 Oct 07 #4898 by lilybet
Reply from lilybet
i'm glad to see you are both able to sort things out without solicitors fees, but you should have a firm agreement about the house, there is no reason why your plans can not work,as it usual for the mother to stay in the house with children,once their schooling is finished the house can be sorted,perhaps sold and split equally.I myself am in a precarious situation with the house,both names on it.he wont discuss anything less than 50% share even though he has since bought a house in ireland where he been livinglast 7yrs. no ancillary relief was ever applied for,so i have just carried on. I have been given some advice on this site,maybe 3 options.house sale out of the question as i wouldt have enough left to provide a home for myself and daughter 18yrs at uni from home. I also need advice on how to make a claim for the house under the divorce law. but i wish your family all the best and well done for such a amicible split.!!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.