A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

tax credit

  • sniffercat
  • sniffercat's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Oct 07 #4917 by sniffercat
Topic started by sniffercat
Hi everyone, hope you`re
C all having a better day than yesterday, if not don`t worry you soon will. am sat here trying to type with the cat attacking my fingers so sorry bout spelling.

Can anyone advise me if i can claim any tax credits for the time that my two sone stay with me under a contact order. I have them from school on fri to school on mon every second weekend and also weds teatime through to thurs school time.
In the holidays i have them extra as well. My partner and i are not very well off and struggle to afford the things teenagers need and any help would be appreciated.
Also as there dad has remarried can i claim my share of the FMH, and how do i do it.

Thanks for any advice

  • Sera
  • Sera's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
19 Oct 07 #4919 by Sera
Reply from Sera
Hi and welcome!

I just happen to have the HM Revenue & Customs Tax credit telephone number on my desk!

Tel: 0845 300 3900

They will ask for your National Insurance Number,and your income. (This is for working tax credits) not sure if you meant child tax credits? maybe call them and they'll refer you to the right dept.

Maybe post back here your result, because we all learn from each others' experiences!

  • Angel557
  • Angel557's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Oct 07 #4922 by Angel557
Reply from Angel557
If your talking about child tax credits no you will not be able to claim for having your sons ,only the parent claiming child benefit can claim the child tax credits, if you are paying child maintenance you should get a reduction for having the children for a certain amount of nights per year.

  • Sera
  • Sera's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
19 Oct 07 #4930 by Sera
Reply from Sera
Angel557 wrote:

only the parent claiming child benefit can claim the child tax credits,

I don't know if the system has changed? Eight years ago, I lost the rights to claim Child Benefit. I'd had it for ten years, then on first divorce, our son was 'co-parented' (under a joint-custody agreement) He had a bedroom in each home, and spent equal nights with either me or his dad.

However, Child Benefit didn't recognise 'joint custody' (yr 2000) and accepted my ex's claim to get the CB.

I gave up the will to fight for it, and let it go. However, since he was then perceived as the key-parent, it affected every other claim I tried to make. It affected the address for our sons school, and my ex also changed the childs doctor.... and so on!

Just be warned what you give up, because it could have a Domino effect!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.