A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Can he really do this

  • Gwenmoon
  • Gwenmoon's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Oct 07 #4973 by Gwenmoon
Topic started by Gwenmoon
After months of trying to short out an agreement, my ex finally agreed to making me an offer which was 40% of his pension and 40% of the house which I reluctantly excepted as I was the one with all the legal fees to pay plus he has left me with loads of debt to pay off. It was nearly 4 years since our divorce but has taken this long to sort out an agreement which lead me taking him to court has he was insisting that I was going to get nothing. He has lived in the house since we split as he refused to leave when I asked him to leave. We have two children but they are grown up but he had just got custody of his grandchild so he was allowed to keep the house until she leaves full time education. So I agreed to the offer of 40% pension lump sum now has he has already drawn it now and 40% of the house deferred until the future. We should be in court next Friday for the fdr, so my solicitor agreed to the offer as his solicitor has just gone off on two holiday and would be unable to attend. He has contacted my sol today saying now he wants me to pay half his credit card bills that he has run up saying that I have had the money from them.

These credit cards are in his name only has when we where married He never let me have any control over the finances as he is a heavy gambler and never wanted me to know what he was up too. This has never been mentioned before all they way through the proceedings and I have recently discovered that he has had these debts attached to the house . I have contacted my sol explaining all this and that I know these are not my debts and the cards are not in my name , but I can't get a reply till monday now. I am so sick of all this and can he make me pay these. He has never offered to pay for any of the debts that are in my name that where incurred while we where together. I was left to sort them out. Can he now add things to an agreement that I had already accepted.

Does anyone know please if he can do this or if this goes back to court on friday can they make me pay his credit card debts or will they see this as him being awkward and possibly rule in my favour any answers would be gratefully received thanks

Gwen :(

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.