A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Property and severance of tenancies

  • HelenK
  • HelenK's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
31 May 07 #500 by HelenK
Topic started by HelenK
Hello again,
As part of divorce arrangements, my partner's wife has requested that the joint tenancies of property be severed, as she wishes to ensure that her half of the property does not automatically pass to him.
Does my partner also have to do this? He does not wish to change anything, and would still like the property to pass to his wife in the event of his death. Is it best for him simply to agree to sever the joint tenancy, merely to re-state separately that he wishes it to go to her?
If he does agree to sever the joint tenancies, does this have any ongoing effect after the property has been sold, or does that conclude matters?
They are joint owners of a small property which they have let out locally, through an estate agent. As part of their separation, he agreed to move into this property to renovate it in order to sell, once the current tenant had vacated the house. It was in need of extensive work as the tenant had not treated it well and the letting agent had not kept an eye on it. Five months has expired since their official sepapation, but the property will not be ready to inhabit until the end of June.
His wife is threatening to claim for loss of rent during the time the house has been empty and having work done on it. Can she do this? My partner has also had to pay rent for his own separate accommodation during this time whilst also keeping up his payments on these properties (matrimonial home and the house being renovated). Is he entitled to claim any of this rent back?
We are very confused, and bumping along the bottom financially, and would be really grateful for your advice.
Helen x

PS a small matter, but he has still not removed his name from the utility bills at the former matrimonial home, as he fears it may affest his rights of ownership/occupation if he does. I am certain it does not, but would be glad of confirmation.:blush:

  • wikivorce team
  • wikivorce team's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
31 May 07 #502 by wikivorce team
Reply from wikivorce team
Im afraid i am not an expert on the joint tenancy agreement issue so i cannot offer advice on that.

The questions about her 'claiming for loss of rent' or him 'claiming for rent' I can deal with...

Neither of them can make any such claim - who are they trying to claim this money from - each other i guess?

At some point they need to agree (or have the judge decide for them) on a financial settlement.

Between now and them - unless 1 of them does something radical like take out a 50k mortgage on the house and blow the money on a 4 week cruise - then nothing they do with regard to day to day expenses will impact the financial settlement.

The settlement is based on fair split of the joint assets and maintenance if applicable from the higher to the lower earner. The relevant factors are their assets value, their debts, the marriage length, any kids under 19 and their respective earning capacities.

If one party is being denied money (e.g. earner runs off and leaves housewife destitute) then the financially hard up party makes a claim for interim spousal maintenance. Otherwise each just manages their own finances between now and final agreement.

  • HelenK
  • HelenK's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
31 May 07 #503 by HelenK
Reply from HelenK
Hi, thanks for the info. Is there anyone who can help with the severance of tenancies query?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 May 07 #504 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Dear Helen,

The answer to your query is very simple.

1. I'm pretty sure that either of them can sever the joint tenancy without the other's consent. This is often done for a different reason - to minimise inheritance tax.
2. If your partner's wife severs the tenancy, he can still leave his share to her in his will.
3. Once the property is sold you no longer own it and therefore questions of joint tenancy are no longer relevant. Of course, you have to decide how to split the proceeds following a sale.

Hope this helps

  • HelenK
  • HelenK's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
31 May 07 #505 by HelenK
Reply from HelenK
That's a great help. Thanks so much.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.