A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

short marriage, what is he entitled to ?

  • Nicksee
  • Nicksee's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Feb 20 #511490 by Nicksee
Topic started by Nicksee
I bought house before marriage £150k equity. I have child ( not his). We got married and he moved in for 18 months, paid £500 a month for bills (split in half) I continued to pay all extras for my daughter.

He left me with credit card debt ( for marriage I am still paying) I had to take universal credit because my income was so low when he left - I am now ok on full time salary ( but still 5k of credit cards) He has put home order on house which I am trying to sell and trying for financial settlement on for equity on house - is he entitiled to anything ?

I am in debt apart from equity on house and have a child to bring up ?

I appreciate your help as I am now despertatley worried

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Feb 20 #511496 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Generally one should not expect to get much out of a short marriage.

Presumably he didn't contribute to the purchase of your house ?

Is the property in your sole name ?

Though I can't advise without full facts, you will not be able to sell if that restriction is still in place.

Sorry, you need proper legal advice here, but on the basis of what you say, I doubt if he'd get much.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11