A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Expedite financial settlement hearing.

  • DG28
  • DG28's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
11 Mar 20 #511742 by DG28
Topic started by DG28
I have a financial settlement hearing coming up, but I really need it to be heard sooner.
My ex is barred from the house by an occupation order. He had been in the house a long time on his own and has destroyed it.
Now I have a home with no heating or hot water and the electric has just packed in too, thanks to his DIY rewiring and other damage. The council will help me sort it out, (I am a student with no wherewithal of my own) but I need my ex and joint owner's agreement. This he won't give.
I asked for an urgent court hearing when I submitted my application, owing to the state of the house and my ex's refusal to help this change.
Now the electric is gone the house is uninhabitable and I am desperate to get this sorted one way or another.
How can I ask for the case to be expedited?

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Mar 20 #511765 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
Unfortunately you are unlikely to be able to expedite financial proceedings.

If the matter goes to trial it could take 12-18 months therefore any hurrying along will have little to no impact upon your position.

It's a Catch-22 position - Court resources are limited which means that they have to be allocated fairly (somebody else may be in the same position as you). However, if you make an application you will use up more court resources which will make the situation worse.


  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
13 Mar 20 #511767 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
How soon is the hearing? The chances are that even if you made an application there would not be space in the court timetable for it to be heard before the scheduled hearing.

The court may be able to make an interim order but could not conclude the whole matter without due process being followed. .


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11