A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Shutdown changes everything during settlement

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar Posted by
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
03 Apr 20 #512021 by hadenoughnow
Topic started by hadenoughnow
Welcome to Wikivorce. A Consent Order is just that - something that you have to agree to. If you do not agree, there is no consent.

Spousal Maintenance is not a given; it is based on demonstrable need and ability to pay.

The unprecedented situation we are in changes everything. We really are in uncharted waters. Everything is up in the air - and no one has any idea when it will come back down...

Things will sort themselves out eventually but just as the 2008 crash had a massive impact, especially on some sectors, the effects of this will be pretty far reaching - and potentially long lasting.

Anyone who is in the process of sorting out finances would be well advised to either delay or to least to ensure that everything in the pot is re-valued. You certainly should not agree to pay Spousal Maintenance that you cannot afford.

If you don't have consent - and therefore cannot have a Consent Order - it is open to the other side to make an application to court. If this was to happened, everything would be valued at the point of form E and decisions would be made based on the position at that time. You can still reach agreement on the way through.

Are you represented? If you are not and you want to talk this through with someone, you could give the helpline a call to see how we may be able to assist.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11