A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How to proceed??

  • shamog
  • shamog's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
01 May 20 #512268 by shamog
Topic started by shamog
I am a respondent in a divorce, the Decree Nisi has been granted. I would like to negotiate a financial agreement but my STBX will not respond to my messages.
We separated in July 2017 and he had a Separation Agreement drawn up so that i would only have what i walked away with. I didn't agree with the terms of the agreement and signed it under duress (he told me if i wanted to seek legal advice or make any amendments to it i would have to pay for the whole thing, something which i wasn't in a position to be able to do). We had no children together, we lived in a house which he (and his ex partner) have a mortgage on. We were together for 11 years - married for 6. I contributed to the house from day 1 and raised his son who lived with us (full custody).
I have approached him to come to a fair financial arrangement but he has not responded.
I am not in a financial position to enter into a long drawn out battle over settlement using solicitors (our divorce is DIY). I was hoping to be able to have a Consent Order drafted but without response from him it is unlikely. I would like the matter finalised to prevent any claims, either way, in the future.
Can anyone advise a way forward? I am 50/50 whether to pursue it or let sleeping dogs lie.

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
01 May 20 #512269 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Ring the helpline and see what they can advise.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11