A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

next steps

  • jemma12345
  • jemma12345's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Jul 20 #513491 by jemma12345
Topic started by jemma12345
So i live in FH with 2 chn one under 18. We have equity of roughly 60K my ex won't budge 50/50 I earn 23K but temp contract he earns 50k which doesn't enable me to rehouse chn, he is sending abusive texts and has stopped paying mortgage. can he legally do this? the stress of having nowhere to live is affecting me and my chn greatly. I have tried mediation once he lied then more recently wouldn't engage. Why won't the law protect the most vulnerable party rather than costing me a fortune. would you suggest sell fh ? stay until chd is 18? or shud i take this to court been trying to resolve for along time now.

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
31 Jul 20 #513511 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
If you would like advice from Wikivorce members as to what the likely outcome of a financial case in a divorce or civil partnership dissolution is going to be; you need to post the following information:

Your respective ages;

The number of children you have and their ages (including any step-children that live with you);

How many nights the children spend with each parent;

The length of your marriage and any period of pre marriage cohabitation;

Your respective incomes;

Your respective outgoings;

Your assets - both solely held and joint (ie property equity, pensions, vehicles, savings, etc);

Your liabilities - both in sole and joint names (ie credit card debt, outstanding mortgage, etc).

Any other factors, such as one person having limited earning capacity due to ill-health or a long career-break, etc.

This information is required so people may advise you on "What is fair".

  • jemma12345
  • jemma12345's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
31 Jul 20 #513512 by jemma12345
Reply from jemma12345
Is there a way of private message rather than full life for everyone to see ?

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
08 Aug 20 #513603 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Financial settlement on divorce is based on needs first. These are needs for housing and income now and on the future. The needs of children are a priority.
Are you able to cover the mortgage payments and running costs yourself?? If you can, you may be able to stay put for the time being and sell the property at a point in the future when the children are independent. This may be 21/end of First degree. There still might not be enough equity to buy another place though.
If you cannot reach agreement and mediation doesn't help, you may have to apply to the courts. You can still settle at any time. It is perfectly possible to self represent with help from this site. We offer a range of fixed price services to support litigants in person.


  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
08 Aug 20 #513610 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL

jemma12345 wrote: Is there a way of private message rather than full life for everyone to see ?

If you use private message you'll only get one opinion and one persons ideas. You've already put most of what is needed.

PM me if you wish.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11