A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

fair weighting of monthly living expenses

  • homecounties
  • homecounties's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
29 Sep 20 - 29 Sep 20 #514279 by homecounties
Topic started by homecounties
Hi. I have a question about fair weighting of monthly living expenses.

I’ve petitioned for divorce in the last few weeks and my wife is insisting on staying in the house and splitting the household expenses down the middle. The hard cost outgoings are circa £1400 a month and the house ownership and mortgage is in my name as I bought it many years before we met (we’ve been married 3 years). She has her own property that she rents out at £1200 per month and keeps all the income on.

I’m only earning about £700 per month at the moment (self-employed musician) and will run out of money in the next few months yet she has at least £100,000 in her own bank account and is a very high earner (but choosing not to work at the moment).

So far she has refused to go to financial mediation (citing she wants to go through lawyers to make it expensive for me) so two questions:
1) Any thoughts on how to calculate fair monthly expenses split while we're still living together given our differing financial situations?
2) Can I reasonably give her notice to leave and find somewhere else to live given she won’t go back to her own property? It’s very unpleasant at home (she’s verbally aggressive every day) and I’ve just found out today she has registered an interest in my property with Land Registry – presumably through her lawyer

Last edit: 29 Sep 20 by homecounties. Reason: spelling

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
30 Sep 20 #514282 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
As it’s the former matrimonial home it will be very difficult to make her leave.

Her choosing to spend a fortune on lawyers doesn’t need to cost you anything. You can represent yourself.

Fair way to deal with finances in the interim may be to split it as a percentage of each of your incomes? But would she be interested n fair? It’s short term so you may have to live with it

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11