A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Spousal support

  • Travelchick
  • Travelchick's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
08 Nov 20 - 08 Nov 20 #514690 by Travelchick
Topic started by Travelchick

I wonder if anyone can help me? My ex left me in June and I have been trying to arrange spousal support.
Before he left he was giving me £1500 a month for bills debts etc.
After he left he changed it to £500 a month
Now his gone down to £200 a month.

However just in loans and credit card payments I have to pay out £800 a month, he had a bad credit rating to everything was in my name!

We was together 10 years, lived together 9 years and married for 5.4 years.

His income is £90k a year and mine is £15k
As you can see on £15k a year I can't afford a solicitor.
I get universal credit as I have a child living with me who is in full time education however this is not his child so it is only spousal support I am looking for as I have been left with all of this debt!

Someone suggested mediation solicitor that we can both see together so we can get a genuine picture of what he should be paying but then I was told thats a waste of money as its not binding and he can just refuse.

I used the online calculator and based on our individual needs etc it said that he should be paying £1200 a month.

He went to a solicitor and told the solicitor I was making £3k a month with no outgoings so obviously the solicitor told him to pay £200 a month for 3 months and stop!

I am seriously starting to struggle financially and I don't know where to turn to fix this so that I don't have bailiffs turning up!

My ex and I are on friendly terms so we can do this between us, but we just need a fair assessment of what he should be paying and the fastest way to get it sorted.

Thank you for any advice.
Last edit: 08 Nov 20 by Travelchick.

  • AlanPartridge
  • AlanPartridge's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
09 Nov 20 #514701 by AlanPartridge
Reply from AlanPartridge
Hi Travelchick - as nice as it is to get on with your ex - it seems to me he is not doing the right thing by you and the debts he has left behind. As you need to move on with your live I would suggest you need to do whats best for you - as sooner or later he will have become a distant memory - I would either speak to a solicitor - or get the ball rolling with the courts. mediation is good if stuck do - and I think is approved by the courts, so I would assume carries some weight, but it will cost you money to get it done. The court will require you both to share financials in various forms, and it tends to sharpen minds in my experience. I went this route to show I meant business and I am glad I did..

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11