A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

will my wifes syphoning of funds from joint accont

  • duncan McEnzie
  • duncan McEnzie's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
23 Oct 07 #5174 by duncan McEnzie
Topic started by duncan McEnzie
In nov last year i found my wife had been syphoning money from our joint account. At least 7 thousand pounds was syphoned off in 6 months. The day i found out i left her and now we find ouselves in a position where we cant afford our home. I recieved a letter from her solicitor suggesting a 75 25 split in her favour. kids are 22 18 17 and 15. Just found out that 17 year old is pregnant. Just wondering if wifes behavior affects settlement. House is for sale pre divorce and she has pulled other stunts such as taking house off market without consulting me. Turning down offer without consulting me. This after me giving up my flat as id got into mortgage difficulties. Wife working 16 hours on benefits since march. Incidently the first job shes had in 19 years of marriage even though i said go on a course for a job shed like after the children grow up a bit or go to work and well live without the benefits. I only had my flat for two months now im back to living with friends and family. Cant afford a solicitor myself at present as im trying to keep the roof over my childrens heads so could do with all the help and advice i can get. Incidently there is 70 grand equity in house. She has also got her solicitor to send to letter saying i violently physically assaulted her so I cant have access to the children and the house. I can only prove I havent by bringing the children in as witnesses which i am not prepared to do. She is telling everyone i imaginged the money missing because i 'lost it' after my Mum died two years ago. I have evidence to back up everything she has done including forging my name on cheques but as i have said i wouldnt put the children through any more than they are going through already. I am at wits end financially and emotionally so any advice would be most welcome.

  • Tinny
  • Tinny's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Oct 07 #5175 by Tinny
Reply from Tinny
I can sense your anger.

From my very new understanding the starting point in all of this is 50:50 but this will vary due to a number of factors like the age of children and where they are to live. I think more information would be needed for more advice from those here who have experience. For example your salary, pensions, savings etc.

Hope you dont mind me asking but how did she spend the £7K and why did she need to forge your signature if it was a joint account?

On first reading I thought you had just recently moved out and felt that perhaps it was a gut reaction and some type of mediation would be appropriate. I realise now this all happened almost a year ago. Can you discuss any of this with your wife or are things too hostile?

Hopefully someone else can give you more help than I.


  • duncan McEnzie
  • duncan McEnzie's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
23 Oct 07 #5177 by duncan McEnzie
Reply from duncan McEnzie
She denies taking 7k she says i went loony after my mums death and says i imagine she took money.Cheques she cashed were tax credits she cashed after i left. Cant discuss any of this with her. I offered to sit with a person of her choice or go to counciling so as we could divorce in a civilised way for the kids sakes but she declined.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.