A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Change of title deeds

  • lync
  • lync's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
28 Oct 07 #5434 by lync
Topic started by lync
This 1's a bit tricky so any advise at all would be appreciated.

My stbx and I bought my mums local authority house 4 yr ago she gave us her discount so we got the house for a steal, the house was to be an investment for the 2 boys when my mum was no longer here. It is written into her will that when anything happens to her the house comes to me and him, couldn't put it in the boy's names as they were both under 18 at the time. The prat now wants his name on the title deeds obviously mum is not happy about this after all its been in her name for 50 yr. My sol says I have no option but to do it. Does anyone know what rights this gives him, my fear is that he will have landlord rights. He just couldn't wait until she wasn't here she's 76 the now. I suggested we put it into trust for the boy's oh no gready B doesn't want them having it now. Anyone come across something similar???????:(:(:(

Thanks for reading anyway.

  • TMax
  • TMax's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Oct 07 #5440 by TMax
Reply from TMax
I take it "you" being the daughter asked your mum to purchase the house at the discount price and she purchased it herself with your money under the "right to buy scheme". You lent her the cash, to buy it as her name had to be on the title deeds because of the "right to buy".

Im not a legal beagle so not sure if the rules are the same in Scotland as here but when I bought mine it states that ownership has to be retained for 3 years by the resident, so :-)is your mum a life time"trustee" of the house :-)and you and X the "beneficiaries". If so then X does not have to be registered on the property, he will have to make a claim against the property to get his share of the value when its sold.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.