A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Help with business situation

  • ph123456
  • ph123456's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
01 Nov 07 #5648 by ph123456
Topic started by ph123456
Hi all, I am new to this site (unfortunately) and in the middle of seperation. We agree on most issues. The sticky one is the Limited Company, which she owns 100% shares of. I have been contributing physically and emotionally to the business for the past 9 years (of which 6.5 we are married). It was not changed over to a Ltd untill after we got married (partnership before that). How does it work in situations like these? Has anybody got experience. She doesn't want me to have anything to do with the business anymore and simply took me of the payroll and took my work away. It's only small, but has a healthy turnover. Thanks for any advice. Paul.

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Nov 07 #5649 by mike62
Reply from mike62
Welcome aboard. Tough time for you. Similar myself, except we are a partnership.

Are you a director of Ltd co? Who are officers (e.g. co secretary, chairman etc)? Are they on your or her side?

If you are an officer of the company that gives you some limited leverage, but if she the 100% shareholder, you are in a weak position, other than nasty tactics.

If you were simply an employee, there is very little you can do to influence her decisions, other than appealing to her better nature. However, if it is anything like my situation, there is no better nature. Just a block of granite! :angry:

Everything, including the Ltd co, is part of the marital pot, so will be considered as part of ancillary relief. But you would need to start divorce proceedings to kick off ancillary relief.

I might be wrong, and I hope for your sake that another reader can correct me. Her sole shareholding is very powerful. But maybe there are things outside the business that you could negotiate with to give you the results that you need.

Best of luck


  • tiesys
  • tiesys's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
01 Nov 07 #5653 by tiesys
Reply from tiesys
Hi Paul,

I will be interested in the replies you get as I am in similar situation.

I have been told by all that everything goes in the marital pot; all your asset:ohmy: s and liabilities and if you take one from the other and end up positive then the balance is divided up (the starting point is a straight 50/50 split).

My only concern over this kind of thinking is that it is all well and good dividing the spoils, but how do youactually get any money out of someone who simply refuses to pay and can't/ won't realise the assetts?


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.