A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

ancillary relief

  • weespud
  • weespud's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
05 Nov 07 #5882 by weespud
Topic started by weespud
My husband's ex wife is taking him to court for ancillary relief, 3 years after their divorce.

she's claiming that she is suffering great hardship. they have two girls aged 9 and 6 but he pays the CSA for them. The money she is claiming for will be for her.

she's on benefits but has a degree but won't work. We do work but really don't have much more than she does - i earn £20 a month more than she gets in benefits.

anyone know if she can do this and if we can stop her?

  • dun
  • dun's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
05 Nov 07 #5892 by dun
Reply from dun
Unless he got a 'Clean Break' in the divorce there is little that can be done to prevent her trying to get spousal support. This does not mean she will be sucessful.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Nov 07 #5894 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
It's possible to claim ancillary relief when there was no legally binding financial settlement. Whether applying for SM is successful usually depends on the needs of one party and the ability to pay of the other.

Looking on the bright side, ancillary relief will settle matters once and for all so there can be no future claims against capital.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.