A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Please Help!

  • Nicola
  • Nicola's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
12 Apr 07 #60 by Nicola
Topic started by Nicola

My boyfriend is currently legally separated from his wife, (they were together for 10 yrs but only married for the last two and are still married). Without being biased, she is literally being awkward for awkwards sake about everything - so I'd really appreciate any advice people can offer. Firstly, she's on legal aid, they have 2 children together and she works 16 hours a week. She is randomly refusing his children's access for no reason at all (this is to be sorted in court in July). He owns and pays the mortgage on the house she lives in , so essentially she has no rent. She has taken out an injunction to prevent him selling it.

The he left 4 times during their relationship as she is intolerable to live with, but went back the previous 3 for the children's sake.

He had a very nice car which he is still paying the loan off for, which he signed over to her when he left the final time so the children would have something safe to travel in. She has since sold this for a £2k car and kept the money.

Does she have a right to any of the house as she's never paid a penny towards it and it's all in his name as the marriage was so short? And where do we stand on the car loan.

Also can she refuse him entry to the house - she seems to think she can, but surely if it's his he must have some entitlement?

Please help!!

Kind regards


  • wikivorce team
  • wikivorce team's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
12 Apr 07 #61 by wikivorce team
Reply from wikivorce team
Q) Does she have a right to any of the house as she's never paid a penny towards it and it's all in his name as the marriage was so short?

A) Yes she does - its just a question of how much.
You don't say when the house was bought and with who's money for the deposit - this could make some difference. It doesnt matter who paid the mortgage.
Worst case - court treats relationship the same as a longish marriage - she gets 60%+ of house if she looks after kids.
Best case - court treats relationship as short (2 yr) marriage - she gets some share - perhaps 20 to 30%.

Q)Where do we stand on the car loan?
A)The loan is a joint debt.

Q)Can she refuse him entry to the house?
A) Legally no she can't, as joint owner he has legal right of entry. In practise however she can call police if he turns up and they typicaly take the woman's side and strongly encourage him to leave.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.