A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

help with househole bills

  • redcar123
  • redcar123's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
06 Nov 07 #6028 by redcar123
Topic started by redcar123
I am seperated from husband and I have filled for divorce he is living elsewhere. He signed a paper stating he would pay bills household bills. He signed and dated the promise. Now he says he is not going to pay any of the bills because he can't afford to do so. I am left holding the bag. We have been married 10 long years. We have no children together. My question is: Well the paper he signed stand up in court.

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Nov 07 #6029 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut
I don't think that there is much hope of enforcing the signed agreement to pay bills.

The more formal solution (now that your divorce is underway) is to apply to the court for 'interim spousal maintenance'.

This will be heard quickly by the court (perhaps within 3 to 6 weeks) and if it is merited (based on your respective incomes and outgoings) the court will make a temporary (or interim) award for him to pay you so much per month until the ancillary relief proceedings are completed and a permanent order made.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11