A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

splitting assets

  • annadee
  • annadee's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
16 Nov 07 #6839 by annadee
Topic started by annadee
my hudband left the house six months ago then half an hour later he phoned said he had left as he had met someone else. he has refused contact and does reply to his childrens text messages.i have got a letter saying he was divorcing me.he earns twice the amount of money then i do even though i work full time.was supossed to start csa payments for the first time this month but so far hasnt done so.the solicitor letter said they wanted finiancial records.the only thing i have is a car which i need for work.there will not be much equity on house as he was made bankcrupt through non payment of tax.a loan had to taken through a re-mortgage so there will be very little equity.at first he said he did not want anything now i am worried if the car is included as assets it may have to be sold. can this be done,

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Nov 07 #6857 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
Hi anna
yes you will have to do a form E you have to list anything that is worth over £500, i dont think you would have to sell it if needed for kids unless its an"aston martin" or something!
He sounds like my x2b..ignoring kids.....b....rds arent they
regards to you

  • annadee
  • annadee's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Nov 07 #6860 by annadee
Reply from annadee
thanks for getting back to me.no it is a smallcar worth about 2 thousand pounds.He said on that last phone call the house had to be sold.I could not afford mortgage as he was the main breadwinner and earned 1 an half time more then me.I have had to move into rented accomodation.
it seems now that i have had to apply to csa he has suddenly become interested in the house but there will be very little equity.

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Nov 07 #6864 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
If you have children then the house does not necessarily have to be sold - you may have the right to stay there with the kids until they are grown up. If you haven't already moved, stay put for the moment.


  • anna.dee
  • anna.dee's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
28 Jan 08 #12137 by anna.dee
Reply from anna.dee
once again i am back on the forum seeking advice.i have finally managed to get buyer on house but because he paid no mortgage since he left there is no equity and there is a joint loan taken out on house and when sold there will still be £5000 outstanding.they have agreed to accept the offer but have phoned me and they have been in touch with him and he wants nothing to do with it.after trying for 6 months to sell house then the mortgage company charged £5000 for early settlement this is why the loan will be £5000 short.Will he legally have to pay back half of this loan as i am in private accomadition and the rent is very expensive and with a son at college and a daughter at school i am struggling.i am on council list but could take years.I work full time and get working tax credit but it is still a struggle.anyone been in the position and could offer advice.thanks

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.