A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Should I admit adultery?

  • internetcafe
  • internetcafe's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Mar 07 #7 by internetcafe
Topic started by internetcafe
I have received a divorce petitioner from my wife.

The marriage is ending because i have met someone else and the petition mentions adultery, should i admit to this? if i do will that go against me? Will my new girlfriend have to go to court?

  • wikivorce team
  • wikivorce team's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
25 Mar 07 #8 by wikivorce team
Reply from wikivorce team
Hi internet cafe,

Its really up to you.

There is no major disadvantage to admitting the adultery. The UK divorce system is based on no fault - so the admission will not harm you in the financial settlement.

If you do not wish to admit it then your wife will have to prove the adultery (which is actually very hard - unless she has a video tape!).

More likely she will the re-petition with another reason - more than likely unreasonable behaviour.

Re: your girlfriend.
Is she actually named as a co-respondent?, this is unusual these days as it is against standard protocol.

She will not have to go to court unless she is named as a co-respondent and your wife can give a very compelling reason why her evidence / attendance at a hearing is necessary - this is very very unlikely.


wikivorce team
(please read disclaimer re: any advice given on these forums)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.