A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Tax credits

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Nov 07 #7368 by Specialdad
Topic started by Specialdad
This is just a reminder that everyone should inform the Revenue within three months of their marital circumstances in order to correctly receive tax credits.

The Revenue will not back date any amendments to tax credits so you could lose out.

While we are on the topic of tax. Dont forget to inform the Council to receive the single person discount of 25% if you are now on your own.


  • Monitor441
  • Monitor441's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Nov 07 #7372 by Monitor441
Reply from Monitor441
SD. What is the penalty for not informing the local council once you start cohabiting that you are no longer eligible for single persons council tax discount? My ex2b has admitted she has been cohabiting for 5 months but is still paying discounted council tax from joint account.


  • Camberwick green
  • Camberwick green's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
22 Nov 07 #7373 by Camberwick green
Reply from Camberwick green
Equally so, if you fail to give the correct details swiftly i.e. the same week and you are overpaid you might find yourself in debt to them just at the time you really could do without having to have the extra demands coming through the door.

Don’t get me started on tax credits, I have just about had my fill of them! :angry:

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Nov 07 #7375 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
In theory the council could take her to court for fraud but if she informs them as soon as possible.

Then she can start paying the right amount from then on. I would assume that her cohabitant is paying council tax somewhere.

The council rate of updating their records is slower than the central american sloth so I would not worry too much. B)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11