A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Slight probo with ex. Can anyone help?

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Nov 07 #7494 by gone1
Topic started by gone1
Right to cut a long story short. I had 1st hearing and after a bit of too'ing and frow'ing we agreed that I would pay her 30K as final setlement. We drew up heads of agreement and put it before the judge and he signed off on it. Thing is I cant get the money. Letter from her sol says if I cant get the money then they want my home sold. Can they do this?

The reason I cant borrow the money is becuase we both have joint mortgages. She is still on mine and for me to get an advance on it she would have to be part of it.

Any ideas?


  • tarot
  • tarot's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
23 Nov 07 #7503 by tarot
Reply from tarot
Hi Chris
Im no legal eagle but i have just finalised paying my x £30k. I am in the family home and basically he wanted off the mortgage so that he can set up home with new girlfriend. So we agreed for his name to come off the mortgage and then i took a £30k further advance. The only thing was that on paper i cant afford payments so family friend is now on mortgage and we have a "tenants in common" agreement. I own 99% of the home and she owns 1% as she is on the mortgage in name only.
Dont know if this helps, but good luck anyway x

  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Nov 07 #7526 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11

The only person who can order the sale of your home is a Judge! They are empty threats as usual from bullying solicitors!
Write back tell them the reasons you cant get your advance and put the ball back into their court!

Kind ones

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.