A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

french holiday property

  • Maggie32
  • Maggie32's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Nov 07 #7604 by Maggie32
Topic started by Maggie32
My husband is delaying financial settlement. We have a holiday property in France. I have agreed for him to have it part of the settlement but he does not discuss finances although I have the Nisi. He takes his girlfriend every school holiday and says he will be violent if I go but this is the only opportunity for me to go. Is it possible to force a sale of the property irrespective of the divorce proceedings. I live in the matrimonial home and pay all outgoings including the mortgage taken out to buy the french property.:blink:

  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Nov 07 #7609 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
Without details of the case one cannot predict whether H getting the french property is fair.

If it is -why do you take nonsense from him such as threats of violence.

You must understand that if H avoids reasonable efforts to discuss finances either by mediation issue Court proceedings. Mediation may be inappropriate if H threatens violence but at least the mediator can see you each separately and tell him such actions are wrong.

Remember if you file Form A and start the financial process through Court most cases settle at the FDR which is often 4-5 months after issue of proceedings. Sometimes it is sensible to issue Form A immediately after Divorce issues.

The is a Protocol which encourages the parties to exchange financial details before hte Court process starts BUT it is clearly can be ignored if H refuses to disclose or you suspect he will not be honest with disclosure e.g. supplying broad details of his girlfriends capital and income...

If the assets eg the FMH is going up in value rember the Court values at the time of the form E's and the application not when you separate SO delay can cost either party depending on their financial circumstances.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Nov 07 #7617 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.