A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Loosing your home.

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Nov 07 #7627 by gone1
Topic started by gone1
As some of you may know I am trying to get the money toghether to pay off my ex. I have recieved a letter from my ex's solicitors saying if they cant get the money from me they will force the sale of my home. Can they do this?

I have something called a "Heads of agreement" which I think is a draft order. Now to my mind I think this draft order is non binding as I havent signed it. The judge signed it. Is this binding?

To be honest I am cacking myself. I have worked so hard to get where I am and I have come away with nothing. If I lose my home I will be out on the streets. I cant beleive that a court would order this. Am I wrong? How usual is this?


  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Nov 07 #7629 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut

FYI - the blog link in your signature does not work.
(it may work for you but not for others).

You need to replace it with:


  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Nov 07 #7641 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
If the Judge has approved it -it may be binding

Sometimes the Court cannot make an order because a condition exists which needs to be satisfied

As an example I had on elast week where the parties agree terms but it is conditional on the sale of the FMH taking place before the end of the year as H can't afford to pay the outgoings indefinitely the Judge has approved MOAgreement so when exchange and completion takes place the MOA can be lodged at Court (usually signed by the parties)
Hence a Xydhias agreement exists which CAN be enforced

3 conditions needed:

1. Agreement proved
2. Person enforcing ie your Ex has not resiled from agreement
3. Court approves MOA and says it is fair

Hope this helps

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.