A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Ancillary Relief Can I Apply - Please help

  • DIY Divorce
  • DIY Divorce's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jun 07 #787 by DIY Divorce
Topic started by DIY Divorce

My wife and i have been seperated for 5 months after 5 years of marriage. She has all (although limited) of our cash assetts etc etc.

We have not applied for the divorce as yet, and will probably see out the two year process in order to keep costs at a minimum.

In the meantime, am i able to apply for ancillary relief with out formal documents in place, or do i have to wait. She has left me financially crippled. If i am unable to apply for ancillary relief, could i take her to small claims court or not?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jun 07 #794 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike

1. I would have said that you have to petition for divorce first and lodge your claim for ancillary relief as part and parcel of the process. ' Ancillary ' means ancillary to the divorce - so if no divorce, no ancillary relief.

2. However, claiming ancillary relief is one thing - getting it can be another. I can't possibly comment on the merits of any claim and you may have balance what you might stand to get against the legal costs involved in getting it. No point in spending £5000 to recover £5000.

3. I'm 99.99999% sure that you can't use the Small Claims Court for ancillary relief. However you make a valid point ; if the sums involved are only trivial, you need a rough and ready, cheap and cheerful, way of resolving any disputes.. In theory a Court ought to adopt this sort of approach in low value cases, but I don't have the experience to judge how effective this rule is - if indeed it is effective at all.

  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jun 07 #796 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11

Just to clarify a point........
My husband and his ex wife had many debts, all of which he took on as they had made a verbal agreement. Two years after divorce absolute she started ancilliary relief proceedings. During one particular hearing the debts were referred to, ( my husband feels she broke their verbal agreement so he now wants her half of the debts) so he asked for a sec37 order to stop her selling her house in order to get rid of her assets! As my husband had never filed form A, and could never file a Form A (as he has remarried) the Judge said he couldnt actually make a claim against her for anything. i.e. he couldnt stop her from selling her house or disposing of her assets, she is free to do as she pleases with her money. However what he could do was take her to civil court to reclaim any money she owed or another alternative would be to reduce whatever pension percentage she may get by the amount she owed in debts.
Hope the above makes sense.
Kind ones

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.