A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What are the chances...?

  • lexie
  • lexie's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Dec 07 #8687 by lexie
Topic started by lexie
Of keeping my home? Ok,in short.together 12years,married 4 half at time of seperation which was april 07.I am in the house with our 14 mth old son. He is renting a house with his girlfriend.We are fairly amicable and he comes to see his son one evening a week and has him to stay with him every third weekend fri to sun while I work that weekend. He sees/has him at other times by mutual agreement.My net income,monthly, is 1550 including wages,tax credits and child benefit.I pay all bills and 325 childcare out of this. his net is 2300 and until recently he has paid 1000 into my bank account each month. Now he has reduced this to 600 and says thats all he can afford because all his savings have gone. The mortgage and endowment equal 991. I have made an appointment to see a solicitor, in the meantime if anyone has any comments,info, I really would like to hear them.It's a lonely time.Because we are still speaking and it's been 7 months since he left(he had an affair) people do assume that you've largely dealt with all the trauma.We are only speaking because I'm determined to do the best for our son and I don't give him a hard time.I digress...!!

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Dec 07 #8692 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
Seven months is no time at all to get over things but you are right, people do seem to expect you to. I think they find our sadness hard to handle. It can't help having a young child to look after on top of everything else.

I think you have a good chance of being able to stay in the house until your child is eighteen or leaves full time education. You would then have to buy him out or sell to give him his share.

See a solicitor for proper advice, though.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.