A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

what settlement is fair

  • markp
  • markp's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
10 Dec 07 #8780 by markp
Topic started by markp
hi going through mediation and in next appointment got to give full financial disclosure, can anyone suggest what would be a fair settlement, my solicitor said i should go for at least 70%.

married for 10 years me 44 her 39.
our son lives with me in the FMH
house worth £85,000 mortgage £28,500
endowment worth £8,000
debts of £1,860
i work full time and have income of £1,363

she works part time and has £250 plus housing benefit of £348, there is no reason why she can not work full time, but will not till after divorce so she gets legal aid.
she is also cohabiting he will not work but spends day in pub.
our son spends 7 hours every other saturday with his mum.

i have a pension worth £29591 frozen when i was made redundant october 2006.

she cliams not to have one but i believe she has paid into one since november 2006

she is not paying any cm.

could anyone suggest a likely settlement.

if i was to suggest a lower settlement figure for her instead of me claiming cm would this be accepted by the courts.

thanks Markp

  • markp
  • markp's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
12 Dec 07 #8853 by markp
Reply from markp
was hoping some one would be able to point me in the right direction with any advice thanks

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Dec 07 #8881 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
As you are the main carer. I would guess a 60/40 split with you keeping the house till son is 18. As net assets are about £63k inc P. Offer her £35K and see what she says. If you dont have a lump sum she will have to wait till child is 18 with a charge on the property and she will get the money then. CM is usually 15% of her income which you could ask the CSA to assess on her.

Best of luck. B)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11