A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Council Tax Summons

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Dec 07 #8817 by scottishlady
Topic started by scottishlady
I have arrived home from work today to find a letter saying that my STBX has to attend court on 8th January for non payment of council tax.
He was supposed to have been paying the mortgage and council tax... and his sol has stated by letter, that he was infact paying these, and my STBX didn't think he should be contributing anything more financially towards myself and our (grown up) daughter... as these 'bills' amounted to approx £450 per month (he earns 4K a month)...
obviously, he hasn't been paying the council tax... only the mortgage, which is £320 per month...
I suppose I have two questions....
1) Will this court summons affect me or our home in any way?
2) I think he should be contributing more financially, but how can I 'address' this issue?

Many thanks for any thoughts

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Dec 07 #8823 by mike62
Reply from mike62

I am guessing that he summons is in your husband's name.
Is he aware of it?

The debt is his, as you point out that his sol has confirmed that he will be paying the mortgage and council tax in previous correspondence.

However, you should make the local authority aware of his address, so that he is issued directly with the summons.

As far as I can see, it should not affect you in the short term. That said, if he does not show up for court and there is a judgment issued against him, the council may instruct bailiffs to come to the property to remove goods to the value of the judgment. Just don't let them in the house. They will try to tell you that they have a right of entry, but they don't. Just tell them that none of the goods and chattels in the property belong to Mr XYZ, but advise them where he lives, and tell them to go and take goods and chattels from his property.

Sometimes, if there is a CCJ against an address it can have an adverse effect on your credit rating.

Make sure that you make the council aware that he is not resident at the address, so you avoid any complications.

More financial support from him? Have you applied for Ancillary relief yet?

Hope it helps,


  • Angel557
  • Angel557's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Dec 07 #8839 by Angel557
Reply from Angel557
Maybe i'm wrong but i always thought that the council tax bill had the names of any adults occupying the address on them, i can remember myself getting a summons for late payment for council tax in my name only, his arrived the following day, normally it don't go to court if it is settled asap.

  • TMax
  • TMax's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Dec 07 #8840 by TMax
Reply from TMax
went to court over mine, they are not interested why you cant pay it just, do you owe it. I was absolultey brassic and the judge wouldnt listen. so for that they apply a fine and court costs on top of council costs and the council still give you the same answer not interested pay it. they even forced me to give them a charity payment I was given to buy food with.:angry:

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Dec 07 #8846 by scottishlady
Reply from scottishlady
Thankyou all very much for taking the time to comment....
Yes.... the summons is in my STBX's name.... no, he is not aware of it as yet, as it only arrived in the post today.
I will call the local authority tomorrow to make them aware of the situation, and to give them his address.
I have applied for ancillary relief, and we have to attend the 'First Appointment' at court on 4th February, although I am totally unsure what to expect at this hearing, and what issues will be addressed.
Finally, yes Mike... your reply helps very much - thankyou.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.