A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • SerieA
  • SerieA's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
14 Dec 07 #9024 by SerieA
Topic started by SerieA
Hey back again update is as follows xtb has now given up claim on family car as he doesn't drive and he and his new partner who he moved in with after leaving me have brought their own together. He still wants the house to be sold as he doesn't want to have to pay the mortgage for the next 8 years, House is currently worth 145,000 and has a mortgage of 115,000, he has a net income of 2,600 a month, the mortgage costs 905.00 per month, he also has a loan of 168.00 per month, he lives as i said before with new partner who works for local housing authority and has a 3 bedroomed home on a reduced rental agreement as a perk and obviously shares bills etc. I on the other hand have a part time job whilst son is at school get CB/WTC/CTC which gives me an income of 780.00 per month. I have a loan which i pay 172.00 per month and at the moment receive no CM from my xtb (CSA are on the case) now i'm fully aware that xtb pays mortgage and for that i am grateful but for me and my son to have to give up family home feels unfair, do they take into account that we have been together 19 years and married for 13?, that we have owned previously together 2 other houses which were sold with profit and put towards this home, the current FMH home is legally only his as when we brought it he was starting up his own business and put it only in his name in case (in his own words) "something goes wrong, and we lose the house we will then be able to get another in your name". If after financial side is sorted ie, any SM etc awarded would this count towards my income and maybe enable me to take over the mortgage or would an Mesher Order be required?, xtb seems to think i should move out and rent/or place myself homeless and apply for council property, What should I do?:(

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Dec 07 #9144 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008
DO NOT MOVE OUT, if you do to make yourself homeless no coucil has the obligation to re-house you, you will have made yourself homeless

Was the house bought whilst you were married, i.e. in the last 13 years, looking at the price and mortgage I amguessing it was bought fairly recently and certainly not more than about 7 years ago

If this is the case, then you are joint owners in law, it does not matter who owns the proiperty or rather who's name is on the deeds, you are both equally resonsible for it's upkeep and the mortgage payments, the liklyhood of any court denying you full access for the immediate future is very doubtful, childrens needs come first

One question does surprise me, you say your husband put the house in his name, should anything go wrong in the business, if the business has limited liability then that's a load of hogwash, if it is a partnership whether in yours and your husbands name, or he and another, then you have some responsibilty for it's demise should that be the case

What surprises me is, if it is a limited company solely owned by your husband, then it would have been more prudent to put the house in your name, therefore should he personally be liable for any of the company's debts, you would not have to sell up to pay for them

  • SerieA
  • SerieA's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
21 Dec 07 #9373 by SerieA
Reply from SerieA
Thanks Josh, yes the house was brought in 2002.

The business that he started has so far never gone anywhere, not even sure if it still exists as extb has spent the last 5 years keeping secrets and spinning lies with regards to his employment basis, business affairs etc. he has supposedly been employed by his father on a self employed basis but HMRC have no records for him since 1997, he has a water treatment patent which his father, uncle and their business have invested in but apparently nothing has come from this either. I'm waiting to see what he declares on form E with regards to his financial affairs, unfortunately having been with extb for 19 years i have been privvy to his family dealing with other family members divorces ie lying about financial circumstances/wages etc in order to cut non-member of family off with as little financial settlement as possible, which i know already is happening with regards to his employment/accounts as per continous stalling of info. requested by CSA!!

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Dec 07 #9395 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
If the house is in the sole name of your husband, madam, there is one step which you need to take very quickly, if you haven't done it already. That is, you need to register ' matrimonial home rights '. This is neither difficult nor expensive.

Let me explain why. A spouse who is not an owner of the property has the right to occupy it under section 30 of the Family Law Act 1996 and not to be evicted without leave of the Court. If you register your rights, it prevents any possibility of the house being sold or mortgaged without your knowledge. It is, in my view, most important that this step should be taken without delay.

You mention homelessness. As you have dependent children, you have a potential priority need for accommodation, but it is much too early to be thinking in terms of homelessness just yet. I concur with the advice not to leave your house.

The Court's first priority is making sure your children have somewhere to live - and that, necessarily, means that their carer ( in this case you ) needs somewhere to live as well. So I think one question the Court would ask is - is it possible for you to continue to live in the marital home on a combination of your own resources, child support, spousal maintenance, and any other benefits which may be available ? In this connection I would strongly advise a benefit check from a CAB, to review your entitlement in the light of your separation.

The fact that your husband is living with his NP is a help to you, but I note he is paying the mortgage and therefore maintaining you indirectly by keeping a roof over your head. So in a way he is paying maintenance, even if it's not called that.

It may be that it is not realistic for you to keep the FMH and that renting is a more viable option. But it is too early to make decisions, you need the full facts first and to review the form E's.

There is one other thing I might mention in passing. If your husband is at risk of bankruptcy, then is there a chance that a trustee might seek to have the house sold to realise his share ? This is very much of a ' hot potato 'at the moment ( see ' Divorce in the News ' ) but it's worth bearing in mind, I think.

Mike 100468

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.