I need to know what I am entitled to.My wife is leaving our 2 children and I.For just over the last 3 years I have worked part time in order to look after the children to allow my wife to gain her exams and start a well paid job, when she goes (anytime now)I do not know how I will cope money wise.Help:(
You dont say how much you each earn - so im somewhat guessing here.
You also do not mention any assets (do you own a house together? Any pensions etc?)...so I will not comment on assets until you provide further info.
Airdranter is quite right to say that the first avenue to explore is to make sure you are getting all the available benefits:
- you should now only be paying single person council tax
- you should get child benefit
- you will be entitled to working tax credit/child tax credit
- your wife should be paying (at a minimum) 20% of her net salary to you in child support.
- if she earns more than 2 or 3 times your income then you may also be able to claim for spousal maintenance from her (and you can claim interim spousal maintenance while the divorce is in progress).
Also you may wish to revisit your general financial arrangements...e.g. make sure loans/mortgages/credit cards are managed efficiently at good rates of interest.