A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

House and Separation

  • hmurfin
  • hmurfin's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
23 Dec 07 #9450 by hmurfin
Topic started by hmurfin
I split with my Husband approximately 1.5 years ago. My 2 children and I moved out of the family house (which is my name) into rented accommodation. My husband initially did not pay any maintenance, but now pays £300 per month. I visited a solicitor who suggested I go for financial disclosure from my husband and sell the house, trying for half or more of the profit (the house is worth approx 170k). My husband would not read any letter that the solicitor sent and was dragging the whole situation out. During this time I have built up considerable debt. To try and move the situation forward quicker I decided to offer my husband to pay me 50k, by remortgaging the house. In October 2007 he agreed to this and starting proceedings. It is now December 2007 and he says that he is ‘sorting it’, but I cannot get any more information out of him and don’t think he is actually doing anything.

What I want to know is what I can do legally to push this forward. I am now living with another man, still in rented accommodation, and have considerable debts. Can I force my husband to sell the house? What can I do about him not opening his post? Is there anything that can be done quickly, as I am very worried about my debts? Also it is causing my children considerable stress having to move in and out of rented accommodation. I would like to know my legal position and how this can be resolved, can anyone help?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.