A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • zoo
  • zoo's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
28 Dec 07 #9641 by zoo
Topic started by zoo
what the chance of xtb keeping the FMH ,2children 14+9 wil i have to pay until they are 16,at present living in friends house cant afford somewhere to live was sleeping in car for 2weeks

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Dec 07 #9642 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Unfortunately from your point of view, the Court is required to give priority to the interests of the children,and their need for a home. It is certainly possible for the wife to keep the fmh but the Court does have to consider your needs as well.

It sometimes can happen that there isn't enough to go round and renting may be the only practical solution, but I need to know a lot more before I can comment further.

If resources are limited I would always advise a benefit check from a CAB or Welfare Rights organisation. You used to be a couple and now there are two households, not one, so your wife's entitlemenet to benefits can be important.

You have to be given the means to keep a roof over your head. That may mean that your wife ( who would have a priority need for accommodation because she has dependent children ) could be entitled to re-housing by the Council. Her circumstances may entitle her to housing benefit.

If you can tell me more, I may be able to offer some more concrete advice.

Mike 181040

  • zoo
  • zoo's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
28 Dec 07 #9643 by zoo
Reply from zoo
house worth about 140000 xtb wont agree to sell,she is on income support,she is trying to play on eldest allergies which he gets the lowest dla that the house has been adapted which it has not i just want a Clean Break divorce

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Dec 07 #9650 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
The court will consider the children's housing needs first.

You will have to pay child maintenance, so there is no clean break as far as kids are concerned.

Try mediation as it is cheaper than fighting in the courts.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.