A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

who is liable for debts

  • yferch
  • yferch's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
29 Dec 07 #9668 by yferch
Topic started by yferch
Just before he left the ex took out a very expensive mobile phone contract, as he wanted the freebies, ipod, psp ec, Since leaving he kept all the freebies and I still have the sim in my old phone. So when the bills for this phone have turned up I have paid them, as I dont know what else to do.

My point is who is actually liable for payment of this contract. Contract is in his name but the bill states me as a user. I cant afford it its too expensive and not suitable for what I need. If I stop using it, send the sim card to him by recorded delivery and tell the provider where he lives, if he doesnt pay and they take it further, who is liable for the costs.

Ex ran off and left me with ALL the bills, loans, credit cards etc. which I see no point in persuing or resolving through ancilliary relief, there is no equity in the house. I decided to just bite the bullet and am asking for a Clean Break order to just get on with my life.

Would be grateful for any advice on the above before I do anything else though.


  • gooner
  • gooner's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
29 Dec 07 #9669 by gooner
Reply from gooner
as both your names are on the contract you are both liable for the bill, even if you did tell the provider where your ex lives and your ex dont pay they will chase you as your names on the contract. i can not understand why you wont go for ancilliary relief so he can some of the debt why let him get away with it, if he knows you are paying for it he"s laughing at you (sorry). dont bite the bullet make him pay aswell then go for the clean break....good luck

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Dec 07 #9684 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
If any bills are in his name dont pay them and inform suppliers of his new address. They will chase him there.

Any bills in joint names, get his name removed and inform authorities of his new address especially the HMRC. They are keen to jail tax evaders these days.

  • tigstheterror
  • tigstheterror's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Dec 07 #9716 by tigstheterror
Reply from tigstheterror
Hi there,i feel for you here as my soon to be ex ( hopefully0 has left with me in debt to the tune of 18,000 which i am having to pay off, he was clever, telling me that he had bad credit and he couldn't get anything in his name etc!! I would take the advice of the previous poster and go for ancilliary relief as my ex is now laughing all the way to the bank at me. He even had the cheek prior to christmas to ask me to change the grounds for the divorce ,drop the relief request and he would give me a measly 2,000 to pay some of the debt off, big deal!!!! You may guess my answer!!!!
I hope you get it sorted,soon,btw,if his name is on as the contract owner and you are on as a user, i'd go to Offcoms website, write to them, don't pay anything more as it can be seen as admitting liability, and see if they can help.
Good luck and take care
Tigs x

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.