A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

ancilliary relief - is it worth persuing

  • yferch
  • yferch's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
29 Dec 07 #9673 by yferch
Topic started by yferch
Two first free appointment solicitors told me there was no point in persuing ancilliary relief due to my solicitors costs would outweigh the benefit of obtaining any money.

However the more I have persued the divorce matter I think I may be able to represent myself.

Can I ask the valued opinion on what the forum thinks.

I lived in a council house and was the sole tenant for three years before I decided to buy it with my partner, one year ago. However due to I was still on the mortgage from the first marriage I stupidly handed the tenantcy to my ex so we could right to buy the marital home. He has now left me. Before leaving me he started renovation work on the house, that he left unfinished, half jobs everywhere. (Cavity walls exposed, groundworks for extension outside, electric cabling hanging from walls, you name it.) A recent valuation put the house worth LESS than it was a year ago. And due to the right to buy discount it put the house in negative equity. So the ex realised that it was better to relinquish the house to me, which has happened, I took on his mortgage settlment penalty of £2000 and the house is now in my name. House is worth £75,000, the new mortgage is for £59,000 and the right to buy agreement for five years has started again from Sept 07 when he signed over the house.

Since he left I paid everything, including all the bank loans and credit card debts, I used the last of my limited savings to clear some of them. But on average when he left there is a £10,000 bank loan and there was a credit card bill of £900. Plus I desperatly need money to fix the bloody house.

Does the fact he signed over the house to me, outweigh asking him for money for half the bills he left me which I could use to fix the house.

We were married for six years and I have two kids 15 and 10 from first marriage.


  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Dec 07 #9683 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
Always worth fighting for money.

You can do it yourself. Get the forms online and file them with your local county court.

Your ex may make you an offer rather than go through a court battle.

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Dec 07 #9694 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
You might also be able to get child maintenance for your children if you don't get it from your previous husband and they were treated as 'children of the family'.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11