A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Been gone 6 years

  • carling210
  • carling210's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
31 Dec 07 #9746 by carling210
Topic started by carling210
Hi, My wife left me 6 years last october, my solicitor has tried on numerous occasions to get my wife to mediate but to no avail, she will not answer letters exchanged between our solicitors.

A year after she left I decided to put our house on the market which is in joint names, & in one week of the property being on the market I had a buyer, she refused to let me sell it.

In the six years she has been gone no contribution has been made by her to the mortgage repayments, or a loan in joint names. My solicitor advised me to go for ancillary relief but said going by her past history it would be expensive around £5,000 that I would not be able to get back, so gave up on that Idea I just could not afford to do it. I have the Decree Nisi but my solicitor said to get absolute the financial side would have to be sorted.

My questions are what would a judge rule on a situation like this? And any advice on what to do next?

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Dec 07 #9747 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
You dont need consent or even any contact with her.

1. File the form to start financial proceedings with court.

2. Get the court to serve the papers at her last address.

3. Will take a long time but you will get a judgement eventually.

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Jan 08 #9756 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
carling hi
well its a lengthy process and costly if you use lawyers etc, enough help on here to steer you through preliminary stages to get things moving as suggested by sp dad
good luck and use this site

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.