A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Foreign Spouses housing needs after divorce

  • BackTeeth
  • BackTeeth's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 Jan 08 #9942 by BackTeeth
Topic started by BackTeeth
If my foreign spouse gets a weighty chunk of our "joint" assets, having contributed nothing to them, she could presumably claim that she wishes to be housed in the UK, even though all her family and friends are in her own country which has much cheaper house prices and cost of living.
If she did actually stay in the UK, then obviously her housing costs would be costly, but if she went home as she regularly threatens to do, how would a court decide what would be a "fair" settlement ?

And I know that I *could* leave these shores for a cheaper place, but it's less likely as I don't have all my friends and family there.

Any thoughts anyone ?

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jan 08 #10174 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut
If the recent years of your marriage was in the UK, and the divorce is going through UK courts and her current stated intention is to remain in the UK then I am afraid it is inevitable that her housing needs and other needs will be assessed based on cost of living in the UK.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.