A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • xantia
  • xantia's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
31 Jan 08 #12480 by xantia
Topic started by xantia
father just died I may inherit 250000 punds or less .We were already contemplating divorce will she be entitled to a percentage .we have been married over 30 years children have moved on.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Jan 08 #12486 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
It's hard to say, really, because I do not know anything about your financial situation. If the testator had already died and you stand to benefit under the will, then I
think it is likely that it would, at least, be taken into account. One possibility is that you might be allowed to keep the inheritance but your wife gets a higher proportion of the other assets. There are some jurisdictions, mainly in the USA, where inherited property is not available for distribution, but that is not the case in England and Wales. In Scotland I believe the position is slightly different.

Mike 100468

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11